If you are an old-hand at jailbreaking, then you will remember a useful tool named Cydia Impactor. It used to be the tool to use if you wanted to remove a jailbreak without affecting the iOS version you were running on your iOS device, thus allowing you to rejailbreak if you wanted to. That tool has now been renamed as Cydia Eraser and the original Cydia Impactor now does something completely different. The developer is Jay Freeman or Saurik as you may know him and he redeveloped Cydia Impactor into a tool used for side-loading unsigned .ipa files onto an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
Image : Cydia Impactor
Cydia Impactor works with any unsigned .ipa file, including the latest spate of jailbreaks, all of which require Cydia Impactor to get them on your device; here’s how to use it .
How to use Cydia Impactor :
- Download Cydia Impactor for [ Mac ] or [ Windows ] operating system
- Download the .ipa file that you are trying to install
- Open Cydia Impactor on your computer
- Locate the .ipa file you downloaded and drag it to the open Cydia Impactor Window; drop it in [ e.g. Yalu ]
- Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch to your computer and wait for Cydia Impactor to detect it
- Now you will see an Apple warning window; just click OK
- Type in your valid Apple ID and password, click OK. This is required for Cydia Impactor to work and, if you don’t want to use your real account, set up a dummy account before you begin
- Cydia Impactor will now begin to prepare the .ipa file for digital signing and installation to your device. So long as all goes smoothly, the app will be installed onto your device.
- Do not open the app at this stage. First, go to Settings > General > Profile & Device Management
- Find the certificate for the app you just installed and tap the Trust button
- Exit Settings and you can now begin to use the app
Cydia Impactor Features :
Cydia Impactor is still undergoing development which means that, right now, there aren’t too many features. However, what features are available are well worth using, given that Cydia Impactor is one of the few tools for mobile that actually works as it should. Let’s have a look at those features:
- Bridge a Connection
Cydia Impactor provides a feature that allows you to bridge connections between your computer and your iOS device. You can also disconnect entirely or restart a connection but, to make use of this feature, you must know the port number.
- Root Your Android Device
With a couple of clicks, Cydia impactor can root an Android device on 2.0 straight to Android 5.0. Simply connect your Android device to your computer, click Start and the process will begin, taking no more than a minute or two at the most to complete
- Unlock Bootloader
Cydia Impactor can help you to get bootloader locked or unlocked easily by using an identifier token that generates the required unlock bootloader file.
- Built-In USB Driver
Built-in to Cydia are the USB drivers, meaning you don’t need to get them yourself; you must install them manually from Cydia Impactor first though
- Install Package
The last feature for now is one that allows you to flash any mod package you want, as well as updating and rooting packages. You can also carry out manual file recovery to your device without needing Fastboot tools to help you
Cydia Impactor is becoming the preferred method for installing jailbreaks these days, as well as many others, so it is a method we need to get used to using. Let us know if you intend to use it to install unsigned .ipa files onto your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch and how you get on with it. If you come up against any errors, do tell us and, for more updates and information like this, follow us on Facebook .